Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
The last unspoiled wilderness!
Remote – raw – wild, off the tourist track! Photographer’s dream!
The Kalahari! You immediately have images of shimmering terracotta red sand dunes, a cobalt blue sky, big black-maned Kalahari lions majestically patrolling their territory, cheetahs hunting, large herds of gemsbok and springbok gathered at waterholes, and meerkats on the lookout! There are no elephant, rhino or buffalo here but a huge and fascinating collection of creatures you won’t find anywhere else. And, besides that, there is amazing bird life.
FOR THE WILDLIFE CONNOISSEUR........A MUST!
Come to this fabulous place with someone who has a passion and knowledge (gained over 20 years) of this park, who understands its unpredictability, its unique animals and ecosystem. Joy is considered to be one of the best private safari guides in the Kalahari and she will give you an unforgettable safari experience. All tours are completely exclusive, totally tailored to your interests and timing and are personally conducted by Joy (a registered National SATOUR Guide).
The Kalahari Park, now combined with Botswana's Gemsbok Park, is called the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. It is one of the largest parks in the world. It hosts 450 lions, 590 brown hyenas, 150 leopards, 200 cheetahs, 370 spotted hyenas and 264 species of birds. Two-thirds of the eagle/raptor species found in southern Africa can be seen in the Kalahari! The Kalahari Park is situated +-1000kms from Johannesburg and Cape Town, and borders Namibia and Botswana. En route to the Kalahari, marvel at the vast spaces and solitude, the endless rolling farms and huge sociable weaver nests.
This is the home of the Nama people, descendants of the famous original hunter/gatherer people, the San. You may be lucky enough to encounter some of these fascinating gazelle-like people who still cling to their traditional ways.
Whilst in the Kalahari, we start very early, before dawn, whilst it’s cool. After several hours of extensive safari/nature viewing we return to camp for brunch and a rest or cool swim. Then it's time for our afternoon drive which will continue until dusk. OR we can take a picnic breakfast and lunch out with us and eat al fresco, allowing us to stay out all day – if you wish. Dinner is cooked by Joy and is often served under the stars.
Dinner bed and breakfast/brunch or snack lunches are all included and as many safari/game drives as you wish. Bottled water, tea and coffee are always available.
Tailor-make your KALAHARI safari to suit your preferences and budget
To give you an indication of price, here are some of our options:
- 7 day Drive Kalahari (see the countryside) - drive from Johannesburg with Joy, overnight at Kuruman or Upington en route to the park and return the same way. En suite accommodation, all meals and safari drives included - from R22950
- 5 day 'Fly in and out' en suite accommodation, all meals and safari drives included - from R19950 (airfare not included).
- 6 day 'Fly in and out' en suite accommodation, all meals and safari drives included - fromR23950(airfare not included).
All prices quoted are on a per person basis with a minimum of 2 persons; single supplement on request.
Extra Options Available
- DUNE WALKS can be arranged just outside the park in a private reserve with a Nama Bushman tracker/guide. Fascinating opportunity to analyse spoor (foot prints) and learn about the desert animals and local folklore; takes ± 4 hours.
- SUNSET/NIGHT DRIVES when available. Conducted in high, open vehicle by Park’s ranger and takes +/- 3 hours. Excellent for viewing elusive nocturnal animals and birds, our wonderful stars and, if you’re lucky, predators on the prowl! Highly recommended.
- MEERKAT RESCUE usually we do this en route to or leaving the Park as this private game farm is situated some 30 kms from the Park. Rescued meerkats are rehabilitated and encouraged to roam freely. 1 hour.